Keblinger

Keblinger

Geek String

| Monday, September 8, 2014
 
 
Happy Monday Readers!!  I trust you all had a good weekend and are ready for another full week.
I am so happy about the yarn and the yarn company that I get to share with you all this week.  It just tickles me 'Pink!'

 
This has to be the best bio I have ever read, hands down!!!
 
"A long time ago, in a dye bottle far, far away....
I first dumped dye on yarn waaaay back in 2005. From humble beginnings (Kool-Aid and Paton's wool... "started from the bottom, now we here") sprung forth an unrivaled adulation of color and fiber. in 2011, I did business on Hyenacart and Etsy as Zion Fibers, but as of 2014 felt the transition to GeekString better encompassed my dream: to bring themed yarns to my fellow geeks, nerds, pegasisters, bronies, Whovians, guild masters and fangirls/fanboys. While I don't exclusively dye geek-themed colorways, it's absolutely the thing I love most -- there is something oh-so-special about translating something you adore into a whole new medium to enjoy. While I started out dyeing yarn specifically for other moms who knit wool diaper covers for their babies, I now dye primarily on superwash bases and will soon be delving into sock & lace weights to better serve my geeks. In addition to hand-dyed yarn - which my Etsy store will focus on - I also knit the aforementioned wool diaper covers with my own geeky twist and sell them on Hyenacart, a more parenting-focused site.

GeekString is a home studio created by myself, Melissa, and run by my husband Jon and I. We both dye yarn using my own, painstakingly-developed proprietary technique to ensure colorfastness, uniform results, and clean color breaks. I am the resident winder and skeiner, and he does the shipping. Our children provide plenty of inspiration and come up with some of our best colorway ideas to mirror their own geeky hobbies, in addition to helping with packaging, winding, organizing and cleanup. In addition to running our business, we parent five awesome kids between the ages of 1 and 9 in our big house in rural Delaware. Our dream is to build GeekString into a sustainable business to help support our family, and it's truly a family effort! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for visiting our little shop and we hope you love what you see... and feel... and knit/crochet/weave! "
 
~Melissa~
 
I love that this is a family operation and that everyone plays a part, even down to the little ones.  It really makes me feel good when I buy from and indi dyer and you know that you are supporting the family.  Now for the yarn that is so "Geek Sheek" I can not get over how fun and happy it makes me!
 



 Sunwell Superwash Merino 

Worsted / 10 ply
 225 yards /100 grams
20.0 sts = 4 inches
100% Merino (Single Ply)
 


 
The colorway is called: Sonic Rainbow.  I don't think it could have a better name.  It represents so much of the color and I just love it.  I am a big fan of rainbow but I love the diversity in this color by adding the large amounts of sky blue to break things up and give it a different twist.  Speaking of twist, this is a single ply yarn and will knit up into some fantastic mittens or a kids hat.  I envy the kid that gets to go to school with mittens that look this amazing!!
 


If you are not a single ply kind of fan, she offers many different bases and she is happy to do custom orders.  If you think this color tops it all, then you are in for a surprise when you take a look at her Etsy shop.  She has colors that you can only imagine, and then some.  Her attention to detail and color is spot on not to mention that all her packaging is eco friendly.  (I really appreciate the thoughtfulness in being eco friendly)




https://www.etsy.com/shop/GeekString
 receive a 5 Needle Review Rating!
Thank you again Melissa for your fantastic yarns!!!
 
 
 
Just remember;
“Anything can happen when you put on a pair of Hot Pink Socks”
 
~Stephanie~
 
Please take the time to go and look at Geek String and see what colorways you must have!

4 comments:

{ Melissa } at: September 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM said...

You are too sweet! Thank you so much for your review. I'm so glad to share what I love with others who appreciate it! :D

{ Kim D } at: September 9, 2014 at 6:16 AM said...

wow the color on that is stunning... its like a rainbow explosion!

{ rinebird } at: September 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM said...

Beautiful rainbow. I like Make Maori. So many colorful yarns.

{ sewknitpicky.net } at: September 10, 2014 at 6:20 AM said...

This would make a beautiful Honey Cowl!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 Hot Pink Socks Reviews