Keblinger

Keblinger

Bijou Basin Ranch

| Monday, April 22, 2013
 
 
Welcome everyone to the Ranch, 'What ranch you might be asking?' Bijou Basin Ranch
 
Carl Koop "YakMan" on Ravelry is the proud owner of several Tibetan Yaks that he breeds for some of the most gorgeous fibers in the world. 
 
 
"Hello and welcome to the Bijou Basin Ranch website. Established in 2005, Bijou Basin Ranch is a small family owned and run yak ranch located just outside the small town of Elbert on the open plains of the Colorado outback about 65 miles southeast of Denver, Colorado.

Our primary goal is to produce and sell premium yak fiber products such as rovings, yarn, and yarn blends. To do this we raise registered full blooded Tibetan yaks that have superior glossy coats which are harvested annually. We also supplement the fiber we harvest from our yaks by buying quality yak fiber from other yak ranchers across the country and abroad. Our yak fiber is then processed into yarn at various mills across the country or abroad and sold under the Bijou Spun label."
~Carl Koop~
 
 
As if they could get any cuter than that!! 
 
Well with out any further blab from me, lets get into what we have featured for the blog this week.
 

 
Seraphim is the perfect yarn for your light and lacy projects where warmth, fluff, and softness are the goal. Seraphim is a luxuriously soft yarn, that is spun from the best pure Angora fiber(95%) blended with just a touch of viscose (5%) for added strength. Available in 6 subtle yet striking colors: Eggshell, Smoke, Evergreen, Emerald, Pomegranate, and Eggplant.
All designed to keep you warm with a lightness compared to floating!
 
 
I hope that you get a really good idea of how shiny the fiber is, when you see it in the natural sunlight.  I was thoroughly pleased with how light the texture was and at the same time could really see the idea of knitting it into a warmer garment even though it is so light looking.  The next thing that most of my readers know I am attracted to is richness in color.  These fibers have taken the beauty and richness of each colors pigment to the fullest.  When the tag reads, 'Evergreen or Eggplant' that is the trueness of the color!!  Very well done!!!
 
Lace / 2 ply
435 yards/50 grams
super soft with slight halo
 
Bijou Basin Ranch also has several other lines of yarns to choose from.
You will find a full listing of what they have to offer HERE
 
 
 
Now as if it were not gracious enough to just feature one of Carl Koops yarns, he has also included a Bijou Basin Ranch Original Pattern as well.
 
Fir Trees Cowl
 
Take a look at this flowing beauty of a cowl!!
 
 
I adore the open loose look of the lace and how this cowl could really be a multi purpose item.  Rain, sun, or snow you could accessorize this cowl with almost anything.  You can see how when you combing the yak fiber of the Seraphim yarn in combination with this flowing cowl pattern, you end up with a favored knit item for years.  I think this would be the perfect cowl to knit over and over and have on hand for that special Birthday or Christmas gift.  For you convince, this pattern is a quick $6.00 Ravelry Download.  Or a pick me up gifted pattern to a friend on Ravelry as well.
 
Just so you know how all of you my readers can quickly get your hands on some of this amazing yarn,
 
 
For any and all of you who will be at Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival, please stop by the booth and tell all of our 'Yack Friends & Family' how much you enjoyed the Hotpinksocks Review!  They will want to know how you learned of the fantastic items they have to offer!
 
 
Thank you again to Carl Koop for a Such an amazing line of yarn & pattern!

Bijou Basin Ranch receive a 5 Needle Review Rating!
 
Just remember;
“Anything can happen when you put on a pair of Hot Pink Socks”
~Stephanie~


For "two" of you lucky readers, you will win a Skein of  Seraphim & Fir Trees Cowl Pattern!!
In order to enter the Give Away you must
As always:
 
1. Make sure you are a follower of my Blog
2.Tell me what kind of Yak Yarn you would like to try and what you would knit with it.
 
The winners of the drawing will be announced on Monday April 29th.
Good Luck to you all!

49 comments:

{ Babelglyph } at: April 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM said...

I'll take a skein or five of Bijou Bliss, please! 50% yak, 50% American cormo wool? Sounds like heaven in a yarn! And the fact that they're dyed by Lornas Laces is the icing on the cake.

{ Sheila } at: April 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM said...

I would really like a pair of socks out of the Tibetan Dream sock yarn in the teal colorway. My feet would be so warm and happy!

{ Hind DP } at: April 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM said...

I would love to try the yak sport weight. It is so light weight, I'm wondering if it's soft enough for a sweater.

{ Patti } at: April 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM said...

I bet that cowl would be beautiful in the seraphim eggplant (doesn't hurt that it is my favorite shade of purple)

{ Michelle } at: April 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM said...

I love the Tibetan Dream Sock Yarn. There are so many things to do with it so I think I would like to make a pair of socks or a pair of mittens for me. :)

{ Kate Price } at: April 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM said...

I would love to try the Tibetan Dream Sock Yarn, in Siegfried!

{ twinsetjan } at: April 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM said...

Ooo! The fingering weight 100% yak in the Steel colorway would make an incredibly sophisticated lace scarf! That's what I pick!

{ Christyn King } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM said...

I would love any of the Yak yarn in a natural or green color. I would make a scarf/cowl for my daughter.

{ Molly Bee } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM said...

I would love to knit that cowl in Seraphim eggplant. It looks like it just floats on the breeze in that picture. Beautiful!

{ wishinandhopin4 } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM said...

Definitely love the Seraphim in the deep purple and would love to try my hand at that beautiful Fir Tree Cowl pattern. After all, I fell in love with yurts when my class studied Genghis Khan and those yaks sure remind me of that area of land!

{ Victoria Lee } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM said...

I would love to try the Tibetan Dream Sock Yarn. My 24 year old son loves me to make him socks. He just purchased mink yarn so I would make a pair of socks for him and I also love to make lace shawls using sock or fingering yarn. My friends call me a yarn snob, but I have never used Yak yet but I would absolutely love to try the Tibetan Dream Sock yarn. Victoria Lee




{ Jac } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM said...

Lhasa Wilderness - I'd knit a sweet cardigan for my little girl, perhaps in Lohengrin. The yak fiber would keep her toasty warm while the bamboo would shine in the sun, the perfect blend of softness, warmth and shimmer!

{ wishinandhopin4 } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM said...

...help...I don't see/can't figure out how to follow this blog!

Barbara Stenico at: April 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM said...

I would love to try the Tibetan Dream Sock Yarn in Lohengrin to make myself a pair of warm socks for this winter.

{ wearingpurple } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM said...

A Purple Lacy Cowl would be awesome!

{ Loni } at: April 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM said...

Seraphim in a wonderful scarf or cowl :)

{ NanaJen } at: April 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM said...

Lovely yarn and pattern! I would love to try the Arctic Dream or Arctic Treasure!!! Who wouldn't??? I do believe that it would be a joy to have the opportunity to try any of their yarns (I've been coveting Bijou Basin's yarns for quite some time). The Tibetan Dream Sock Yarn would make me thoroughly happy...in the beautiful Teal colorway :)

michelle at: April 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM said...

I would love to try and make a scarf out of seraphim.

{ Kelley B } at: April 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM said...

I have never worked with yak before. I would love to make that fir tree cowl. I've never made one of those either. How perfect would that be!?

{ Kitt } at: April 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM said...

The bamboo blend looks really interesting. I'd love to try making a shawlette with it. Or the sock yarn.

{ Wendy } at: April 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM said...

I would love to make a Romi Hill shawl out of the Tibetan Dream sock yarn. I'm thinking Brandywine out of either the Lohengrin or Natural Brown colorway.

{ Pixie Mellott } at: April 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM said...

I've met your lovely yaks in Estes Park at the Wool Fest and live down the road in Parker. :) I would love to make a wedding shawl for a friend from Seraphim in Eggshell!

Kathleen C. at: April 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM said...

I love the Blueberry color of Bijou Bliss. It would make a great sweater--for me, or course! I live just up the road in Fort Collins :) and have often thought I should buy some Colorado yarn for a project.

{ Teresa B. Cross } at: April 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM said...

Beautiful! Would love Seraphim in Eggshell!

{ Lisa Morin } at: April 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM said...

I would like to knit socks for my sister using Tibetan Dream Sock Yarn, in Siegfried or Natural Brown. Some years ago I made a pair of socks for her in buffalo and I'd like her to compare them with the yak.

{ Betty-Anne } at: April 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM said...

I can picture the Fir Trees Cowl in Eggshell ... such a light, lacy pattern. Marley is such a talented designer ... her 'Violet Duster' pattern has caught my eye. I would love to knit it in the Lhasa Wilderness, Yak / Bamboo Blend .... either cadet or sage ... just can't decide.

{ saricchiella } at: April 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM said...

Ohhh... Shangri-La looks dreamy! I would make a light "blouse" with it (any color, actually), or maybe a little flowy dress for my niece... so many ideas!

{ Heather } at: April 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM said...

Arrived here from Bijou Basin's facebook post about your contest. I've subscribed to your blog! I really like the look of the Yak/cormo blend yarn (especially in the goldenrod and salmonberry colorways). Thanks for this review - I didn't know that Bijou Basin sold Angora yarn until now.

{ Heather } at: April 24, 2013 at 4:59 AM said...

I love the Seraphim in either the emerald or eggplant colorway. I feel in love with the cowl!

{ Mom2Schnauzers } at: April 24, 2013 at 5:02 AM said...

Oh my goodness...The Fir Trees Cowl in Pomegranate would be striking with my ivory cream coat!!! Drool.

{ Debbie in KY } at: April 24, 2013 at 5:45 AM said...

I love the lace wt Yak yarn - in the chocolate brown. Yummy!

{ Terri C } at: April 24, 2013 at 6:09 AM said...

I would knit another pair of warm mittens out of Lhasa Wilderness - it was heaven to work with but I gifted those gorgeous gray mittens : )

{ Jewels } at: April 24, 2013 at 6:53 AM said...

I would love to knit the Echo Shawl with the Lace YAK yarn.

{ Sue } at: April 24, 2013 at 6:53 AM said...

Although I have not tried yak yarn yet (and I'm a bit of a yarn snob and will definitely be trying it), for now I would love to knit the Seraphim yarn into a lacy scarf or cowl - and I'm loving that Fir Trees Cowl! I am assuming that it's rabbit angora, as opposed to angora goats (don't they give mohair?) This time, it would be for ME! I am a green lover, so I would choose emerald, but to give me more versatility, I might also decide on eggshell. Oh! It's all soooo delicious!

{ Sue } at: April 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM said...

I did say I'd like to try your Seraphim yarn, but it isn't actually a yak fibre. If I was choosing a yarn with yak fibre... probably Bijou Bliss in goldenrod. I would finally make myself a sweater.

{ Terri Hamilton } at: April 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM said...

I would like to try ANY yak yarn!

{ Alyce } at: April 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM said...

I love the Tibetan Dream Sock and I would probably use it to make a shawl or cowl. Marly Bird's lovely Fir Treee Cowl is a great pattern to try.

{ Roxanne } at: April 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM said...

If I could have any, I would want Bijou's 100% Yak yarn in sportweight- it sounds absolutely scrumptious! But really any yak yarn would be amazing.

{ Lori } at: April 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM said...

Lace weight, I'm on a shawl kick at the moment

{ Candace } at: April 24, 2013 at 5:03 PM said...

I would love to knit a cowl in Shangri-La!

Kristin EM at: April 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM said...

I've never knit with yak before, but the lhasa wilderness bamboo blend looks like it would make a dreamy shawl.

{ Rose } at: April 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM said...

I think that beautiful cowl looks awesome in the silvery grey shade and would be a copycat and use the lovely Seraphim yarn. It is just so lovely.

{ Knittingdancer on Ravelry } at: April 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM said...

I would choose a skein of Himalayan Trail, yak/merino blend in the natural brown colorway. I would make a pair of fingerless mitts to keep my hands warm.

{ Retureta } at: April 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM said...

Tibetan Dream for a perfect pair of socks!

{ andri. } at: April 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM said...

Seraphim Smoke!:)) I dunno what to make though

{ Alyssa } at: April 27, 2013 at 5:27 AM said...

I want to try the sock yarn either make a pair of socks or some mittens. I would take any color that has teal in it.

{ Donna Lucas } at: April 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM said...

After a very long hiatus from knitting I am just beginning to work with new yarns. I love the Lhasa Wilderness, Yak / Bamboo Blend - Yak for its softness and Bamboo for its strength, shimmer and drape. The jewel tones are really pretty. After knitting several cowls with wool yarns, I want a longer cowl that will drape nicely and feels luxurious.

{ Ginny } at: April 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM said...

I would love to try yak sock yarn or a laceweight because I heard it so super warm and lovely. I would also love to spin some yak some day. It's a whole other experience when you're spinning as opposed to knitting. I would love to be able to walk out of my house in a warm squishy cowl and some cozy socks on my feel. Those are my favourite knitting pair.

busyb4u on ravelry at: April 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM said...

I would love to have the Seraphim in Pomegrante...and to make that wonderful cowl. That would look great this winter, and oh so warm. I hope that I win...

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 Hot Pink Socks Reviews