Keblinger

Keblinger

Stone Arabie

| Monday, July 16, 2012

I am proud to introduce to you John, the owner of Stone Arabie.


"I have been weaving, and more recently knitting, since arriving in Canada from England. Principally I have been weaving tartan, particularly woollen tartan blankets, on commission for clients world-wide. I have been fascinated by tartan and its history for many years and have spent much time reading, researching and weaving tartan. I am an active member of the Scottish Tartans Authority, researching Canadian tartans, the results of which can be seen on my website.

Over the years I have yearned to weave with ‘exotic’ yarns, especially angora and cashmere. With the help of a friend in China, I have recently been able to find yarns of high quality with a good range of colours at a reasonable price.

My workshop and company, Stone Arabie, is located on Vancouver Island, on the west coast of Canada, close to the small town of Qualicum Beach. We are set in the foothills of the mountain range that runs down the spine of the Island. Originally, Stone Arabie was the name of the first piece of land that my partner’s ancestors, the Nelles family, purchased in New Jersey in the 1740s. The drawing of the village is taken from a powderhorn made in 1753 which shows the church and surrounding houses."

These yarns are affordable speciality yarns and I have learned a great deal about different kinds of fibers in reviewing this yarn.  I am so impressed with the care and quality that has been taken to preserve the true nature of these fibers.  How about a look at exactly what I am talking about!

Tibetan Mink


Cashmere 2-ply



Royal Mink


Now for what you all will want to have for your own!!



Angora Pura
Approx. 430 yards per 50gm skein (4000 yards/lb)
      W.P.I.:     36
      Weaving: Plain 18 epi, Twill 24 epi
      Knitting: On 3.25mm needles, 26sts/42rws over 4
                      inches. At this gauge 12" x 12" = 20 grams.
      Washing: Wash by hand using detergent, never soap,
                      and a little white vinegar. To raise the nap,
                      washing can be quite vigorous as there is
                      little shrinkage. Rinse thoroughly, with
                      white vinegar in at least the last rinse.
                      Remove excess water with a towel and lay
                      flat to dry.

     Price: $US 8.60 ($C 8.75) per 50gm skein
The masterful work that has been created in these timeless breeds of fiber are enough for anyone to desire a skein or two.  Let me tell you, until you have held John's Cashmere in your hands yourself, you will never really know the true meaning of soft.


Thank you again to John for a great yarn sampling!
 
Stone Arabie receives a 5 Needle Review Rating!

Just remember;
“Anything can happen when you put on a pair of Hot Pink Socks”

~Stephanie~

 For one of you lucky readers, you will win all the yarn shown in this review!!
In order to enter the Give Away you must

As always:

1. Make sure you are a follower of my Blog
2.Tell me what your favorite item from Stone Arabie is.
The winners of the drawing will be announced on Monday July 16th.
Good Luck to you all!


Review 2 of 2



Angora is one of the lightest, loftiest and warmest natural fibres. This 100% pure Angora yarn knits and weaves beautifully. It can be used in weaving as either warp or weft.

14 comments:

{ Bobbi } at: July 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM said...

That black mink/angora is gorgeous! Wow!

Kyla Hurst at: July 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM said...

I have just recently found Stone Arabie Yarns myself. John is so nice and just lovely to deal with. I am so glad to see a review of his yarns here. My favourite is the Tibetan Mink. I am designing a pattern with it right now!

{ danadoodle } at: July 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM said...

I love how the Mongolian Cashmere 2-ply knits up beautifully. It's nice to see knitted samples of the yarns.

Kathy the knitter at: July 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM said...

Hello
I just recently became aquainted with Stone Arabie and love love love the Tibetan Mink. I made a shawlette with the silver grey that only took one ball. The hand is beautiful and the stitch definition wonderful. Thank you John.
Kathy the knitter

{ TracyF } at: July 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM said...

For me it would have to be the black Royal Mink. How luxurious!

Anonymous at: July 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM said...

Both cashmere and royal mink looks lovely:)
andri_chama(at)yahoo(dot)com

{ Kate Price } at: July 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM said...

The black royal mink looks luscious!

{ JStockert (~Julia) } at: July 17, 2012 at 5:15 AM said...

The handspun angora looks amazing!!

{ Emily Milliman } at: July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM said...

I am just amazed at this man and his company. He not only sources the wool and weaves the blankets, but the research he has put into each one and the access to that same research for us is amazing! I definitely have this on my wish list now! very, very impressed!

Anonymous at: July 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM said...

The Black Mink! Love it! Nice review!!
Penny sch4gators-RAVELRY

{ Sarah } at: July 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM said...

black mink

{ Esther } at: July 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM said...

I hope I win, I hope I win, I hope I win, I need that black mink! As usual, I will keep my fingers crossed.

{ Lisa } at: July 21, 2012 at 5:11 AM said...

What beautiful yarns and so luxurious. I do love the light blue cashmere yarn. It is a great color and just looks very soft.

{ Betsy } at: July 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM said...

I'd like to try the mink and the cashmere.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 Hot Pink Socks Reviews