Keblinger

Keblinger

Luxury Meets Environmentally Friendly

| Monday, February 13, 2012

This fiber was a real treat and an education to me.  I have never even thought about the possibility of knitting fiber that contained Mink & Cashmere.  Now I know what you are all thinking, and the answer is YES! This is the softest most delicate and yet surprisingly sturdy yarn I have worked with yet. 

Before I go any further let me get this important piece of information out of the way.

 It’s important to know the minks are NOT HARMED in any way. Healthy, stress-free minks sheared once a year produce the softest, most lustrous fibers. You can enjoy the luxury of real mink with peace of mind knowing no animals were mistreated.

I bet you are wondering what this fantastic fiber looks like, here you go.
This is the color way APPLE.
The ultra soft mink down is wonderfully compatible with cashmere resulting in this extraordinarily soft yarn. The mink yarn is versatile DK weight; the generous 230 yard skeins

I wanted to be sure to use this yarn for the perfect project, something that was sophisticated and yet showed off the signature halo of this yarn.  So I chose a fantastic winter hat pattern Vegamot.  This is a stunning hat that is form fitting and still has a fair amount of style.  My cousin is interning in Chicago and needed to look the part, I think she does a great job pulling off the look.


Great Northern Yarns are top dyed with environmentally friendly dyes, expertly spun with just the right twist.  The Natural yarns are un-dyed-right off the spinning wheel.  The fibers in top dyed yarns are dyed before carding and spinning.  These fibers have superior color saturation, producing yarns with richer deeper tones.  There is no shade variation between dye lots.  I could not even tell you how fast this hat knit up because of how smooth and effortless the yarn clicked away on my needle tips.

This yarn is fantastic for projects needing great stitch definition.  I was so pleased with the fit and the gauge  I got while knitting.  Her yarns come in a variety of deep shades as well as natural.


As if this review could not possible get any better...it does.   This yarn could easily be doubled in price, but Great Northern Yarns can offer this directly to you at wholesale pricing because they are the sole global distributors. The mink yarn goes directly from the spinning and dying mill to the website.  They rely on customers to share their experience and help spread the word about such a dynamic product.  I was happy to do just that in this review.



receives a 5 Needle Review Rating!

Just remember;
“Anything can happen when you put on a pair of Hot Pink Socks”

~Stephanie~

Thank you again for allowing me to review your yarn!

I am so excited to let all your readers know that Great Northern Yarns is donating a skein of
90% Mink/30% Cashmere for our Give Away this week!

As always:
1. Make sure you are a follower of my Blog
2. Leave a message on my Blog or Ravelry, tell me what you would like to
try of Great Northern Yarns blend of fiber?
Good luck to you all!

 The winners of the drawing will be announced on Monday February 20th.

16 comments:

{ Windybrook Spinner } at: February 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM said...

I think the 100% yak would be really neat to try, but the mink/cashmere blends sound fascinating as well. I can't believe how pretty the colors are.

{ twinsetjan } at: February 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM said...

I'd have to go for the mink/cashmere lace weight...and that cobalt blue on their website is TO DIE FOR!!

Sara (the Cousin!) at: February 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM said...

Love the hat! It turned out fantastic, and the fit was snug, but still flexible. Totally beat out the 9 degree Chicago weather :)

{ Irocknits } at: February 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM said...

I can't imagine what it would be like to knit with Mink/cashmere. I love the brighter colors.

{ Julie } at: February 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM said...

All three of the Great Northern yarns look luscious! I am especially intrigued by the 100% natural yak, but I love all of the colors of the mink cashmere blends, too.

{ Handmade by Mai } at: February 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM said...

I don't know this yarn, but it looks very nice. I love the color apple for a pair of socks.

{ cantorneff.com } at: February 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM said...

90% mink & 30% cashmere! I would love to make a möbius cowl with that - especially in that purple-ish royal blue color. Gorgeous!!

{ Kathy } at: February 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM said...

Hard to choose, they all sound fantastic! But I think I'd start with the mink and cashmere blend - absolutely dreamy!

{ Julie } at: February 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM said...

wow, I've never heard of mink yarn, and it sounds incredible!the hat looks amazing. I'd love to enter this giveaway- I follow your blog, and I'd love to try this unique fiber blend- It sounds super soft!!

{ Laura } at: February 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM said...

WOW...thanks for the review, this yarn looks amazing!! It sounds like it would make an amazing cowl; I love soft warm fibers around my neck to keep me warm, yet visible so others can enjoy them too! ;-)

{ JP } at: February 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM said...

Something else to save up my pennies for :)

hmmm what to make. Something for around the neck/shoulders so you can feel the soft and still have people see it. The yarn is solid colors, so you can do something lacey. Maybe Anonymous Vampire or Lady of the Blue Forest.

{ Sarah } at: February 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM said...

oh mink and cashmere would be lovely to try out and make a nice cowl I bet!

{ weteyelashes } at: February 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM said...

I'm not sure how to follow your blog, but I will be reading! And I would make something that directly touches my skin ... perhaps a shawl or cowl. I've had my eye on something super simple like this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dandy-neckerchief

{ Inese, SLK } at: February 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM said...

Wow, what a nice review! Thank You so much for introducing me to this yarn, it sounds dreamy! I was just checking the projects made with it on Ravelry as well - they all look amazing and so luxurious! The cashmere/mink combination sounds amazing, I would probably use it for a cowl or a shawl.

Anonymous at: February 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM said...

I'm doing chemo hats for a family member so I'd probably do a cheerful, luxe one . . .I'm sure it'd provide a smile in an otherwise yucky day.

Anonymous at: February 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM said...

Oops, I should have added that I'm brownbutter at Ravelry . . . the above post re: chemo hats

Sorry

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 Hot Pink Socks Reviews